I’d like to buy a pair of thigh highs for the first time. What should I get?
- Sarah K.
First of all - thank you for considering thigh high stockings! Believe it or not, we get asked this question all the time. Over the past few years, women are adopting the idea that legs are a canvas for color and texture and stockings are a fabulous way to express your creativity. As a result stockings are back in style!
Unlike your grandma’s pantyhose, the process of producing hosiery has changed. Stockings are now sewn circularly, and are made from a blend of synthetic materials (not just from nylons) and are also available in an array of colors and patterns.
For me, I believe that every woman should have at least five different types of stockings, one for each day of the work week. While you may be thinking: I don't wear dresses and skirts every day, the truth is, stockings, especially thigh highs can be worn underneath your pants. To elaborate, here are the five staples you should own to serve as a foundation for your rotation of hosiery:
- Sheer - Sheer stockings are a type of hosiery that are translucent, and are around 10 - 20 denier (denier is the unit of measure for determining weight for hosiery). The texture appears to be sheer, thus the name. Sheer hosiery can be worn for a variety of occasions: to work, to a hot date, to a wedding… As for options for shoes: Ideally, closed-toe stilettos are a good fit for sheer stockings.
(Photographer: Marcus Jason, Model: Tora Ueland)
- Opaque - Opaque stockings are a type of hosiery that are not translucent, and are around 20-50 denier. This type of tights provide everyday comfort and are splendid for every occasion. Some women prefer wearing color opaque stockings underneath their pants to add an extra pop of color with their shoes. Opaque tights can also be worn with a variety of shoes including flats, stilettos, boots and even sneakers.
(Model: Mina Lee)
- Thick stockings - Thick stockings are a type of hosiery that are usually matte, and are around 50 - 180 denier. This category of hosiery provide warmth and are ideal for cooler temperature (40 degrees F or below). Thick stockings can be worn with flats, boots and sneakers. It is also possible to wear thick stockings underneath your pants, or on top of sheer stockings.
(Mode: Chisom Ike)
- Pattern - Argyle, stripe, polka dots and chevron - these are just a few examples of patterns that you can be find on pattern stockings. Pattern tights also come in a variety of texture thus allowing you to stand out for any occasion - especially at parties. Since this type of hosiery comes in a variety of thickness, there's no hard or set rules for the type of shoes to be paired with. That being said, you may want to go with shoes that are solid color and matte in tone so that you do not take anything away from your legs.
(Model: Anny Lamba)
- Sexy stockings - Sexy stockings are perfect for impressing a date or boosting confidence, especially if you are considering fishnets and back seam stay ups (another term for thigh highs). High heels and sexy stockings go fabulously together.
(Photographer: Marcus Jason, Model: Christine)
Keep in mind that you’ll want to adjust these recommendations for your own personal preference. If your style tends to be romantic and sultry, sheer stockings may be a fit for your wardrobe. If your style is creative and effortless, then you’ll want to stock up on pattens hosiery.
At VienneMilano, we offer all five of these type of hosiery. Take a look at our fabulous collection and save $10 with voucher code: ILOVEMYLEGS - and always, feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org