There's no surprise; buying stockings online makes sense. That's because brick and mortar stores do not allow you to try on tights in store. In contrast, by shopping online, you avoid waiting in line, looking for a parking spot, thus improving your quality of life. Plus, is it even possible to go shopping at your local store with a glass of wine in your hand? We didn't think so.
That said, with so many choices on the internet, the experience can be a little daunting. Here are the criteria to consider when shopping for hosiery online.
- Review Size chart – Check out the manufacturer's size chart. You'll want to buy from a brand that offers your size based on your height and weight.
- Choose for the right occasion – Tights can be worn for every occasion. That said, perhaps you may be shopping for work, a wedding, or a special event? Check out the retailer's website for recommended occasions.
- Inspect the fabric – It's common for tights to be referred to as nylon, and that's because nylon was predominantly used for producing pantyhose in the 1940's. Today, other materials are available for the fabrication of hosiery. For stockings, look for stockings made from a blend of nylon and spandex (elastane) as it offers both durability and comfort.
- Contact the brand – Still not sure about which retailer to shop from? Reach out to the brand and ask for recommendations. Typically, small independent brands can offer helpful insights and customer service.
- Read the reviews – Companies such as Trust Pilot offer honest reviews for customers. Take a look to see what other customers have to say about the brand.
- Buy two or more sizes – Does the retailer you're shopping from have a free return policy? If so, buy a few sizes to try at home. You can always ship the ones you don't need back to the retailer, or give it to a friend.
- Origins – Where are your hosiery made? – Some countries are known for producing quality. For stockings, shop from brands that are made from countries like Italy, Austria, America, Germany, or Japan.
- Support small independent brands – Feel good, do good. By buying from small businesses, not only will you look fabulous as you'll be wearing one-of-a-kind products, but you'll also be empowering small independent brands.
VienneMilano is a female-owned independent brand. All of our hosiery are made in Italy. Browse our collection, and get $10 off with voucher code ILOVEMYLEGS.
Photo credit: Marcus Jason, and Susan Kanoff