Thigh highs are a type of stockings that go all the way up to your thigh. This style of hosiery is meant to stay up without the need for a garter belt.
- Length - Thigh highs, as the name implies should reach your mid thighs. Therefore, look for thigh highs that go all the way up to the top of your legs. The best way to determine how far up the top of the stockings should go is by placing your hands around your pelvis. The top of your thigh highs should reach the bottom of where your ring finger falls - in other words, the top of the band should sit a couple of inches away from your inseam. Stockings that go slightly above your knees are called over the knee socks - Not that there is anything wrong with them; they are not thigh highs.
Correct way to wear thigh highs:
- The band - Look for a band that is made with at least two strips of silicone. Silicone is a gel-like material that allows thigh highs to stay up on your leg without squeezing your thighs. Try to avoid bands that are made with elastic. Stockings using elastic bands tend to fit at first, however throughout the day you will feel slightly uncomfortable as the band will pinch and squeeze your thighs. Furthermore, elastic tends to stretch itself out thus losing its elasticity and will most likely fall off your leg. Some people may wonder if lace or solid bands makes a difference. The truth is, it’s really up to personal preference. However, the height of the band may matter. For example, as a person who is not very tall, I prefer bands that are around in 2.5” - 3” in height. Tall bands (bands that are 5-7” tall) are fabulous for occasions when I know I will be wearing a long dress. However, I understand that some women prefer to wear colored bands as a way to reveal their style and confidence for a night out or for a photoshoot.
- The occasion - While thigh highs can be worn for every occasion, certain styles may be a better fit. For example, for a typical day at work, I recommend wearing black sheer or black opaque stockings. For parties you may consider wearing stockings with a bold pattern, and for a hot date, you may consider wearing black fishnet stockings.
- The weather - The unit of measure for stockings’s thickness is called denier. Sheer stockings tend to be low denier (5 - 20). Opaque and matte stockings tend to be around 20 -50+ denier. For hot weather, you’ll want to wear stockings with a low number denier, whereas for cold weather, you’ll want to wear something that has a high number of denier.
- The material - Traditionally, stockings were made from or a blend of wool, cotton, and or silk. It wasn’t until 1939 when nylon was introduced as a material for creating stockings. Today, technology has improved - I recommend looking for stockings that are made from a blend of nylon and spandex (also known as lycra or elastane). While nylon is a very versatile material, it is not as soft and smooth as spandex. High-quality stocking brands will use a mix of both materials.
- Place of origin - Italy, Slovenia, America and China are just a few countries that are known for producing stockings. Look for countries that are recognized for providing quality and respect for environmental and labor regulations.
- Sizing - Thigh highs are determined by height, weight and in some cases your thigh circumference. Make sure to check a manufacturer’s size chart to ensure proper fit.
Where to buy thigh highs
For the most part, it is not possible to try on stockings (or socks) at a store before purchasing. Therefore there is no advantage in buying your thigh highs from a store. In fact, it may be more convenient to order online as you will not have to leave your home, and can place the order at any time.
When purchasing online, look for retailers who offer:
- Reputable brand
- Good Customer Service
- Direct from the manufacturer
Brands dedicated to thigh highs are an even better choice.
For us at VienneMilano, we genuinely believe that legs are a canvas for color and texture, and hosiery allows you to use it. Therefore, look for a hosiery brand that offers a range of color and pattern to allow you to express your creativity freely.
Follow these tips and reveal your style and confidence by being elegant, playful and sexy. Check out our infographic below as we summarize the process for buying thigh highs. Browse our collection of luxury hosiery today and get $10 off with voucher code ILOVEMYLEGS.